Whitney B. Maxson
T (513) 977-3462
F (513) 762-0062
AssistantValerie Keeney / Ashley St. Hilaire
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
T (513) 977-3465 / (513) 977-3450
Whitney Maxson knows how to work with families. She does it so well that in the process she often ends up being treated as part of the family.
In her estate and wealth planning practice, Whitney interacts with clients of all ages, from young professionals looking to establish an estate plan to clients whose planning is largely in place, but who are interested in additional strategies to transfer wealth while minimizing unfavorable tax consequences. In the background of many of these discussions is contemplation of the mortality of the client or a loved one. Because Whitney knows these are not always the easiest subjects to confront, her first priority – and her greatest strength – is making clients feel comfortable.
In estate and wealth planning or probate administration matters, in which she assists executors with the administration of probate assets and disposition of non-probate assets, Whitney makes clients comfortable by clearly and simply communicating her technical understanding of her practice area, even when the topics are nuanced or complex. Beyond the clear explanations she provides, she puts clients at ease with her willingness to listen and her recognition that clients often have needs that transcend the legal or practical and may, in fact, be emotional or psychological in nature. The result of her approach is client relationships so familiar that they could almost be described as familial.
At Katz Teller, Whitney is active in the firm’s recruiting, benefits and social committees, is a permanent member of the firm's administrative committee, and heads the strategic planning initiatives for the estate and wealth planning practice group.
Estate and Wealth Planning Experience
Whitney counsels clients in all aspects of wealth transfer planning, including federal gift and estate tax planning, generation-skipping design, charitable planning, planning for retirement benefit distributions, and business succession planning.
Business and Tax Law Experience
In her taxation practice, Whitney advises businesses, non-profits, families and individuals on federal, state and local tax issues. Whitney provides analysis of income tax, sales and use tax, business income and franchise tax, real and personal property tax, and excise tax issues.
Awards & Honors
- Named a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers® in 2019-2020
- Reeta Brendamour Prize in Tax Law Studies from the University of Cincinnati College of Law for her demonstrated academic excellence in the study of taxation
- Member of the University of Cincinnati Law Review
- Named a 2013 YWCA 'Rising Star'
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center Foundation Board Planned Giving Committee
- Volunteer Lawyer Project
- Pro Bono Partnership Greater Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Public Schools Volunteer Tutor (Hays-Porter Elementary School)
- Pones, Inc., Board President, Advancement Committee
- Young Lawyers Section of the CBA, Member
- United Way Emerging Leaders, Member
- United Way WINGs, Member
- Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Planned Giving Committee, Member
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cincinnati Estate Planning Counsel