Robert A. Pitcairn, Jr.
T (513) 977-3477
F (513) 762-0077
T (513) 977-3403
Step into Bob Pitcairn’s office, and you will be greeted by classical music, an uncluttered desk, and a sense of calm not normally associated with litigation (or a litigator’s office).
But make no mistake, the business litigation Bob performs with surgical precision often has the highest stakes for his corporate and individual clients. Just as a surgeon would, Bob operates in these cases with a studied approach, a deliberate pace, a steady hand, and no fear of getting a little bloody in the process. For that reason, clients have entrusted Bob with their most significant problems, and Bob has been the sole or lead trial counsel in hundreds of civil lawsuits, mostly in the state and federal courts in Cincinnati.
Bob’s deft touch with complex litigation, in areas as far-ranging as antitrust, employment law, ERISA, patent, probate, securities and tax, and his poise and polish under pressure in commercial contract and business disputes, have led to local and national recognition as a top “bet-the-company” litigator. In 2007, he joined a select group when he was recognized by his peers in the state of Ohio as the top Ohio Super Lawyer® (the leading vote-getter in the entire state in the annual voting to determine who will be recognized in Super Lawyers Magazine), an honor he earned again in 2008.
In addition to Bob’s active litigation practice, he served as the chair of the firm's management committee from 2000 to 2012. Bob has been the head of the litigation practice group since the firm was founded and is a member of its professional responsibility and risk management committees.
Awards & Honors
- The number one Ohio Super Lawyer® for 2007 and 2008
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers since 1989
- Recognized as one of Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America® since 1991 in the field of business litigation and, more recently, bet-the-company litigation
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer® “Top 50” in Cincinnati every year since the inception of this honor in 2004 and “Top 100” in Ohio from 2004-2018
- Recognized by Chambers USA as one of America’s leading lawyers
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a litigation star
- Recognized by Lawdragon, Inc. as one of the leading litigators in America
- 2012 & 2014, Recognized by Woodward/White as the Lawyer of the Year in Cincinnati for bet-the-company litigation
- 2013 & 2015, Recognized by Woodward/White as the Lawyer of the Year in Cincinnati for litigation-securities
- Represented Eagle Picher Industries in defending its Age-60 corporate pilot retirement policy in federal court jury trial.
- Represented the Estate of Austin E. Knowlton in defending what is believed to be the largest will contest action tried to a jury in Cincinnati.
- Represented the Cincinnati Bengals in defending the anti-trust action brought by public officials over the lease for Paul Brown Stadium.
- Represented Chiquita Brands in a commercial arbitration brought by International Paper involving interpretation and breach of contract allegations.
- Represented Pete Rose in federal jury trial concerning tax issues relating to gifts to coaches and trainers.
- 1985, United States Supreme Court
- 1978, United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- 1973, United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- 1973, Ohio
- Various other courts
- Former Chair, Volunteer Lawyers for the Poor Foundation
- Trustee, Austin E. Knowlton Foundation, Inc.
- Trustee, Cincinnati Ballet Foundation
- University of Cincinnati, J.D., 1973, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, University of Cincinnati Law Review, 1972-1973
- College of Wooster, B.A., 1970