Katz Teller Announcement Regarding COVID-19
Katz Teller has a plan in place for business continuity in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. For more information, please follow the link below. Katz Teller COVID-19 Information
Matthew A. Rich
T (513) 977-3475
F (513) 762-0075
T (513) 977-3403
Matt Rich has always been most comfortable in a courtroom, and nothing has changed since his mock trials have become actual trials.
What has changed is that, in employment law, Matt has discovered a practice area that strives to avoid disputes before they arise. In fact, some of his favorite days in the office are spent on the telephone talking with employers in the Greater Cincinnati area, advising them on important hiring, firing, discipline and personnel policy matters and educating them on employment-related compliance issues.
Matt frequently works with company executives and human resources personnel to develop strategies for handling delicate employee situations, including those that may entail or foreshadow the end of the employment relationship. He understands that whether a company is losing one employee or reducing headcount on a larger scale, these are difficult and weighty decisions that impact real lives and should be made only after careful consideration. He helps employers achieve peace of mind by thoroughly discussing options and outcomes in advance, and then crafting the appropriate written materials to record or implement the chosen strategy.
While the goal is to mitigate the risk of employee claims down the road, sometimes even the most carefully weighed and documented decisions wind up before courts or administrative agencies. Matt handles all aspects of the litigation of these claims or charges, as well as representing privately-owned businesses in general commercial and business litigation, contract disputes or creditor’s rights matters.
In addition to his employment and litigation practice, Matt serves as Katz Teller's Meritas® contact for employment and litigation matters. Matt is the chair of the firm’s recruiting committee, chair and permanent member of the firm's administrative committee, and a member of the firm's marketing and strategic planning committees.
Awards & Honors
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer®, 2017-2020
- Recognized in Woodward/White, Inc.’s publication The Best Lawyers in America®, 2013-2019
- Received the 2008 Law Day Award for outstanding contributions to Kentucky Law-Related Education after coaching Fort Thomas (KY) Highlands High School to the 2008 Mock Trial Championship
- Received the 2019 W.W. Reynoldson Award for coaching Miami University Mock Trial
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- Member of Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber's Building Cultural Competence, Class of 2017 (inaugural class)
- Member of CBA Nominating Committee, 2015
- Member of Leadership Northern Kentucky, Class of 2010
- Member of Leadership Action, a program of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber, Class of 2014 (inaugural class)
- Member of The 50, a Contemporary Arts Center patrons' circle made up of 50 navigators of contemporary culture, between the ages of 25 and 45, who are "committed to the city and to the vibrancy of the urban core.”
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Cincinnati, Current Board Member
- Active in mentoring and consulting with junior lawyers and law students as to career development
- Coach of the 2018 American Mock Trial Association National Champion, Miami University
- Serves as a frequent judge at high school, college and law school mock trial and negotiation competitions around the country
- Has taught courses on courtroom communication and trial advocacy at Bellarmine University and assisted with college mock trial teams at Cornell University, Bellarmine University, Xavier University and the University of Louisville
- Past-chair of Regional Youth Leadership Law Day and member of Regional Youth Leadership Steering Committee
- 2009, United States District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- 2008, United States Supreme Court
- 2006, United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- 2006, Kentucky
- 2004, Ohio
- Cornell University, J.D., 2004, Honors Fellow
- Bellarmine University, B.A., 2000, summa cum laude, Valedictorian, Phi Beta Kappa