Mark J. Jahnke
T (513) 977-3435
F (513) 762-0035
T (513) 977-3491
Ask Mark Jahnke how he's doing, and he will tell you he's living the dream. And while every attorney knows on some days that might ring sarcastic, Mark regularly means it.
For him, the dream is the opportunity to work with clients to help them achieve their dreams. Because clients recognize that his level of care and concern is something unique, Mark is often asked to serve on client boards, advisory groups or in other capacities that allow him to work hand-in-hand with management to achieve business goals or navigate challenges and complexities.
While day-to-day client counseling frequently occupies a significant portion of Mark's workday, his reputation has been built on and staked to the special skill he brings to advising clients on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and other major corporate transactions. Several times Mark has represented one party in a deal only to be hired later by the other party in connection with a separate transaction.
A long-time client describes Mark as “the kind of lawyer that every CEO dreams of hiring,” and the lawyer he would want on his side of the table in any negotiation. As that client recognized, Mark does not pretend to be an expert in every area, but involves the right people as needed to help clients avoid unnecessary legal adventures. This echoes Mark’s recognition in Chambers USA as an “astute business lawyer and negotiator who is very easy to deal with,” and who will "fight for the things that are important with great practical judgment and a sense of humor.”
As the President and CEO of Katz Teller, Mark is not only the face of the firm, but a force that drives us forward. Mark’s ability to bring out the best in those around him, along with his leadership and judgment, keep us focused on achieving the level of service our clients expect and deserve.
In addition to handling a variety of matters relating to business organizations, including formation, organizational structure, owner/shareholder relationships, business succession and related issues, and representation of C-level private and public company executives, Mark has represented a number of our clients, including those identified below, in significant acquisition, recapitalization and disposition transactions:
- Cardinal Solutions Group, Inc. - represented the shareholders of Cardinal in a sale to Insight Enterprises, Inc.
- Washing Systems - represented the shareholders and management team in a recapitalization transaction with Gryphon Investors
- Rough Brothers/RBI Solar - represented the shareholder in connection with a sale to Gibraltar Industries
- Ampac Packaging, LLC – represented Ampac since 2000 through two recapitalizations, 14 domestic and international acquisitions and the sale to Prolamina in August, 2015
- The Minster Machine Company – represented the fourth generation owners of this Ohio manufacturing business in a sale to Nidec Corporation
- The Estate of Austin E. Knowlton – represented this Estate in the sale of a 30 percent interest to the Cincinnati Bengals. Negotiated transaction with third parties and handled sale to Cincinnati Bengals through exercise of right of first refusal
- The Midland Company – represented the controlling family shareholders and principal executives in connection with the sale of Midland to Munich Re Group
- CE Power Solutions - represented the shareholders in a recapitalization transaction with Mason Wells and represented the recapitalized company in five add-on acquisitions
Awards & Honors
- Listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America® for Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions every year since 1999
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for Cincinnati in Corporate Law for 2012, 2014 & 2017 and Mergers and Acquisitions Law for 2012 & 2015 by Woodward/White’s Best Lawyers in America®
- Listed in Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions (Tier 1 - Top 5 Lawyers in Ohio)
- Consistently recognized by Law & Politics Media, Inc. as an Ohio Super Lawyer® and as one of the “Top 50 Lawyers in Cincinnati” and one of the “Top 100 Lawyers in Ohio”
- Received the Neil H. McElroy Award from the United Way of Greater Cincinnati in 2008 for Resource Development Leadership
- Received the Deal Maker of the Year Award in 2007 from the Association for Corporate Growth
Mark has led our firm’s United Way campaign for several years and has helped keep our firm as the community leader in terms of per capita giving. He also serves on the Board of Directors of United Way of Greater Cincinnati.
From 2010-2015, Mark was a member of the Board and Executive Committee and General Counsel for the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber.
Mark was a member of Class XXVII of Leadership Cincinnati.
Mark is Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (Chair, Nominating and Governance Committee; Member, Executive Committee.)
Mark is a Trustee of The Children's Hospital, the parent entity of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
- 1979, Ohio
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1979
- The Ohio State University, Honors Program, B.A., M.A., 1976, summa cum laude